Backup Power for Industrial Facilities
Why Is Backup Power Important for Industrial Facilities?
Your industrial facility depends on a consistent supply of power to keep your daily operations running smoothly. However, businesses can experience a power outage at any time of the day or night. These power failures are caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Weather conditions – From snow and hail to high winds, inclement weather is the most common reason for blackouts.
- Vehicle collisions – In car accidents, vehicles can veer into utility poles and cause an outage for nearby homes and businesses.
- Equipment failure – Sometimes, power equipment can malfunction on its own due to age or poor maintenance.
When an outage happens, you could be without power for hours, or even days, at a time. How fast the main power is restored depends on how widespread the issue. The best way to keep your business out of the dark is to invest in a backup power system. A backup industrial generator offers many benefits.
A prolonged outage can have a detrimental effect on your business’s overall bottom line. In fact, according to the Department of Energy, the United States economy loses billions of dollars to power outages each year. When you have a backup generator, the automatic transfer switch will detect the power loss and immediately transfer the power load to the generator. This means your operation can continue without disruption.
Maintains Employee Comfort
If your outage happens to occur during a storm, your staff might need to stay on-site until it clears. However, a power failure can interfere with HVAC and refrigeration systems, which can turn a pleasant environment into an uncomfortable one within hours. However, with a standby generator ready, you can keep the power flowing and make sure that everyone remains nice and comfortable until the main electricity returns.
Keeps Property Secure
Having a properly functioning lighting and security system is essential for safeguarding your facility against possible intruders. When the power is interrupted, your property will be left vulnerable. If you invest in a backup industrial power system, you can keep the perimeter lighting on and the security system operating around the clock.
Protects Against Surges
During an outage, your electrical devices could sit without power for hours until the grid is restored. When the power returns suddenly, the electrical current can spike beyond what the equipment can appropriately handle. This surge can result in irreparable damage. When you have a generator on-site, however, your equipment can operate without disruption.
Improves Customer Relationships
When customers are unable to reach you, it has a negative impact on your brand’s reputation. With a backup power system, you won’t have to worry about being inaccessible. Your industrial-grade generator will ensure that you’re still able to serve and support your customers during a power failure by keeping your phone, email, and other lines of communication open.
Prevents Data Loss
When a power outage strikes, computer networks and servers will shut down. Your critical data will be unavailable, and anything that hasn’t been backed up could be lost forever. It’s imperative to protect your business by ensuring that you always have access to a backup power supply.
How to Keep Your System Running Like New
Once you’ve selected a new generator, you will want to keep it in prime condition. A well-maintained power system will pay off with years of reliable use. At Valley Power Systems, our technicians are highly trained and qualified to handle all of your maintenance needs. We take a holistic approach to our work, looking at not only your system’s immediate needs but also what will help it in the future. We know an industrial generator is a significant investment, and we want to help you protect it.
During a maintenance visit, a professional technician from Valley Power Systems will handle the tune-up services that your standby generator needs. These might include:
- Oil and filter changes – Keeping your oil and filters fresh will go a long way toward extending the life of your power system. The oil will continue to lubricate the moving parts of your engine, ensuring that they can work together smoothly. Clean filters will keep out harmful dirt and debris that would otherwise impact airflow and wear on your system
- Coolant refill – Coolant helps regulate the engine’s temperature, reducing the risk of unexpected breakdowns. Our technicians will make sure that your generator has the coolant it needs so that it’s ready to go in an emergency situation.
- Fuel system check – Whether you use natural gas or diesel fuel, your fuel system needs regular maintenance. Our team will check every component and ensure your generator is running as efficiently as possible.
- Hose and belt check – Worn-out hoses and belts can adversely affect the performance of your power system. We will complete a comprehensive assessment to see if any parts need to be replaced.
- Battery inspection – A rusted or corroded battery puts your power system at risk for a major breakdown. We’ll inspect and test the battery and only recommend a replacement when necessary.
Engine testing is also essential for proper generator maintenance. It allows us to not only assess generator performance but also identify any problems that may be present. When conducting a generator inspection, we look for hidden problems that others miss. Identifying these early on allows you to schedule the repairs you need now before the issue progresses. This will save you a substantial amount of money and time in the long run. Best of all, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your system will run smoothly when you need it most.
Speak to an Expert Today
Businesses across California rely on Valley Power Systems to provide the right power solutions for their needs. We work with industry leaders to offer our customers innovative technology in a wide range of power systems. From generator sales and rentals to system installation and service, we aim to be your partner in power. For more information on our backup power systems, contact us today!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Linkedin for more updates.