When to Replace vs. Repair Your Power System
As a business owner, protecting your company’s bottom line is a top priority. At some point, you might have to consider whether you need to repair or replace your generator power system. Having a new generator installed can be a significant investment, so you want to make sure that you are making the right choice for your business. Here are five of the top signs that you should replace the unit versus making a repair.
1. Frequent Repairs
While repairing your power system might be cheaper on the outset, frequent repairs can add up very quickly. You will need to consider the cost of the needed repairs and whether or not you expect additional repairs in the near future. Usually, once a generator has needed major repairs, it’s a sign that the system is starting to break down, and more repair needs will typically follow. You might be better off investing in a new unit that won’t need any repairs for a while.
2. Outdated System
Is your system more than 10 years old? If so, you might benefit from a new, updated unit for your facility. Newer generators have advanced technology that’s designed to improve overall efficiency and performance. Plus, finding parts for older generators can actually be more expensive than parts for more recent models. This is another factor that you will need to weigh when you’re considering generator repairs over a full replacement. With a generator replacement, you will also benefit from a brand-new warranty, which will further reduce costs for you down the line.
3. Reduced Efficiency
As a power system ages, it will begin to show obvious signs of inefficiency. It will require more frequent oil changes and other maintenance to keep up with your power needs at the same level. You might notice that the unit is also using more fuel than usual. Your energy and fuel costs to run the unit will increase substantially over time. This reduced efficiency also puts the unit at a higher risk of breaking down due to wear and tear. A new generator power system will be much more efficient.
4. Inconsistent Performance
When your power system is beginning to wear down, it may exhibit irregular performance. Imagine being in the middle of a power outage and your generator shuts down, interrupting your productivity. With the unexpected downtime, you could experience significant financial losses until the power is restored to your building.
You can remain up and running by purchasing a brand-new unit for your facility. Your new power system will be much less likely to break down, providing you with peace of mind and financial security.
5. Increased Power Needs
When you first purchased your system, you may have chosen a smaller unit that you felt would adequately handle your power requirements at the time. Now that your business has grown, however, that initial generator may no longer be able to keep up with your power needs. When the power load continues to exceed the generator’s capacity, it results in increased wear and tear, which will quickly cause the system to decline. Now is a great time to invest in the future of your business with a higher-capacity generator system from Valley Power Systems.
Clearly, a generator replacement has many benefits over repairing a deteriorating power system. There are numerous makes and models of generators on the market, and the options can be overwhelming. Valley Power Systems is here to help you navigate the various power systems and choose the right one for your business.
What About a Generator Rental?
You might be considering a generator rental to replace your current power system. Rentals are a great solution to your immediate power needs. However, they aren’t recommended for the long-term because the cost of the rental can really add up over time. If you’re looking for a permanent backup power solution, purchasing a new generator will be more cost-effective. This investment will likely pay itself off over the years as the power system protects your business against unexpected power outages and the associated financial losses.
Invest in a Maintenance Package
Once you have decided on a generator, the next step is to ensure its maintenance needs are covered. With proper maintenance, a new power system will last for years before needing a major repair or replacement. Valley Power Systems offers customized maintenance packages to fit your individual needs. Our technicians will ensure your generator has what it needs to remain operational and protect your business against unplanned power failures.
- Battery checks: Our team will test your unit’s battery to make sure it is charged and ready to go when you need it. We will tighten loose connections and look for signs of corrosion, which can cause power interruptions. If you need a battery replacement, you can rely on us to take care of it promptly.
- Filter changes: Regular filter changes are key to ensuring optimal airflow through your unit. Our techs will inspect your filters and change them as needed.
- Oil changes: Fresh oil will keep your engine’s internal parts and components lubricated. This reduces wear and tear on the system. Our technicians will know which kind of oil to use and handle the oil change professionally.
- Leak inspections: Leaks can be detrimental to the health of your power system. They can make it work harder than it needs to, which reduces its overall efficiency and performance. Our team is expertly trained to uncover and repair hidden leaks before they have a chance to grow into major problems.
- Coolant refill: Coolant is essential to regulating the temperature of your generator’s engine. It helps to keep the unit from overheating, which can result in unexpected power failures. Our technicians will ensure your coolant is at the recommended level so that your power system is ready to go in an emergency.
- Engine test: It’s important to test the engine at every maintenance check. Your technician will run the generator for a set period of time to ensure that it is in proper working order.
- And more!
At Valley Power Systems, our goal is to prevent generator problems before they happen. We’ll carefully assess the condition of your unit and look for any issues that could result in power failure. We’ll present you with cost-effective recommendations for repairs, and once approved, our team will handle them promptly to ensure your system remains in peak condition.
Offering Reliable Commercial Power Systems
At Valley Power Systems, we’re proud to serve business leaders throughout greater California. When it comes time to replace your power system, we’ve got you covered with a wide range of state-of-the-art power systems from today’s top brands. Our knowledgeable staff can help you choose the right system for your business’s needs and have it installed at your facility promptly. You can also rely on our highly trained technicians to handle any repair or maintenance needs down the line. No job is too big or too small—our mission is to ensure your generator provides you with many years of dependable service.
Are you ready to invest in an upgraded power system? Contact our professionals at Valley Power Systems today!